Why Germany Has It So Good — and Why America Is Going Down the Drain
As we struggle through the worst economic crisis in almost a hundred years other countries have avoided our fate and are thriving. How do they do it? Here’s a clue they don’t do it by rewarding those who created the disaster like we have in this country.
These quotes are from a fascinating interview with labor leader and author Thomas Geoghegan who ran, and lost, in the Democratic primary to replace Rham Emmanuel. Who has written a new book called Were You Born on the Wrong Continent?
“Geoghegan: Of course, low income sectors do better too. Nonetheless, it could be said, there’s a growing amount of poverty in Germany. Especially during the 1990’s and the early part of the last decade, there was a scaling back of social democracy. For a while the bubble of casino capitalism in the US and the UK led to an allocation of capital into the US and UK looking for hot returns. Since the collapse of casino type capitalism in 2008, money has shifted back where it should have been in the first place, to the virtuous economies of the world like Germany, based in manufacturing.
McNally: I recall Kevin Phillips pointing out in his book Bad Money that year after year the US shifted more and more of our money and our best and brightest young people into finance. When the casino seemed to be paying off, other countries also shifted in our direction, but when it broke, we didn’t have the manufacturing and export base a country like Germany has to fall back on.
Geoghegan: The Germans had a certain amount of schadenfreude about the whole thing. They’re basically a very pessimistic people by temperament, and when they saw a world debacle that they weren’t responsible for, they actually became a little more upbeat.
They had what they call a good recession. The German government was very quick off the mark, and immediately put in place what they called kurzabeit. Through this short work-week program, the government paid people to stay on the job when they otherwise might have been let go.
We got ahead of the curve,” one German labor minister said, “employment didn’t drop here the way it did in the US.” When the economy recovered, there was no incentive to hold off hiring because the people were already on the job. Their unemployment is now significantly lower than ours and the economy is booming.
McNally: When asked why Obama didn’t pursue a similar policy to stem the economic bleeding, Larry Summers dismissed the idea, saying the White House wanted to create new jobs not preserve old ones.
Geoghegan: A pretty lame answer.”
“McNally: You point out that as globalization grew, the US chose to compete on the basis of cheap labor by outsourcing. We kept the marketing and executives here and moved the manufacturing elsewhere. We’ve been playing that game for 20-30 years now. Germany chose to play the opposite game.
Geoghegan: 30 years later the Germans are making money off of China, and China is making big time money off of us. One thing I really try to get across in the book: Many Americans think that we’ve got a trade deficit because we can’t compete with China. We’ve got a trade deficit because we can’t compete with Germany in selling things to China. Until people wake up and look at the kinds of things that the Germans are doing to keep their manufacturing base, we’re going to continue to run deficits which leave us in the clutches of foreign creditors and compromise our autonomy as a country.
McNally: This is something that the right wing should be up in arms about.
Geoghegan: Absolutely. And they’re clueless. They are mortgaging this country’s future and they’re too stupid to realize it.”
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- 7 Election Integrity and Cyber Security Experts Say Stopping Michigan Recount Is a Corrupt Exercise of Power December 8, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1068504'; Click here for reuse options! “Americans will never know the truth about what happened.” Michigan is the new Florida in American elections, an infamous state where Republican judges shut down a presidential recount before the votes were counted, leaving Americans with unanswered questi […]Steven Rosenfeld, AlterNet
- Colbert: Trump's Latest 'Deal' Is Beyond Ridiculous December 8, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1068492'; Click here for reuse options! It's all part of Trump's "Clip-Art of the Deal." President-elect Trump's long-awaited Carrier deal was followed by an even more suspicious one this week."Yesterday, Trump met with Japanese billionaire Masayoshi Son, the owner […]Alexandra Rosenmann, AlterNet
- Tina Fey Hilariously Mocks Trump's Favorite News Source, Breitbart December 8, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1068503'; Click here for reuse options! "When I get written up in Breitbart I wanted it to be because they're mad that I'm making an all-female Hitler biopic." Nine-time Emmy winner Tina Fey aims to give Trump supporters juicy material—eventually. "I promised myself I wo […]Alexandra Rosenmann, AlterNet
- License to Kill: Can Any Amount of Evidence Convict a White Cop Who Shoots a Black Man? December 8, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1068502'; Click here for reuse options! Clear video evidence in the Walter Scott shooting wasn't enough; for black Americans this travesty is nothing new. Americans of a certain age have most likely heard some version of the following story. Somewhere in the South, two white sheriff’s deput […]Chauncey DeVega, Salon
- Robert Reich Issues Dire Warning to 'Thin-Skinned, Vindictive' Trump December 8, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1068498'; Click here for reuse options! In response to Trump's petty, bullying attack on a union head, Reich told Trump: "Stop this." Robert Reich has had enough of Donald Trump's ridiculous twitter attacks, and it was Trump's remarks to a union head Wednesday that final […]Alexandra Rosenmann, AlterNet
- Mad Men: Trump May Be the Perfect Vehicle for Kissinger’s Philosophy December 8, 2016Greg GrandinThe elder statesman has always insisted on the importance of unpredictability, even irrationality, in diplomacy.Greg Grandin
- Democrats Should Fight All of Trump’s Nominees. Yes, All of Them. December 8, 2016Joan WalshHe’s betrayed his working-class supporters by naming a cabinet of millionaire and billionaire insiders.Joan Walsh
- What Happens to a Town When Amazon Moves In? December 8, 2016Michelle ChenWhen local stores close up shop, workers lose out.Michelle Chen
- Trump’s Pick to Lead the EPA Built His Career on Attacking the EPA December 8, 2016Zoë CarpenterThe nomination of Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt to direct environmental policy means fossil-fuel interests will have their man in Washington.Zoë Carpenter
- Donald Trump Is Just Another Handmaiden to Capital December 8, 2016David DayenIf you look past his tweets, Trump’s been remarkably consistent in promising to gut regulations and cut taxes.David Dayen
- Leap into Blockadia December 15, 2015 Daily Censored Writing Team
- Multiple video evidence of San Bernardino false flag attack: are .01% planning for multiple false flags to ‘justify’ martial law, arrest ‘truthers’??? December 14, 2015 Carl_Herman
- Was Karen Hudes assigned to attack my article after I wrote .01% will launch waves of false flag attacks to ‘justify’ martial law, arrest ‘truthers’? December 13, 2015 Carl_Herman
- Karen Hudes REFUSES to give ANY EVIDENCE of claims for gold as currency; says ‘no time or desire.’ Try that in your profession for factual claims and see what happens December 13, 2015 Carl_Herman
- 13-minute video: household spending income multiplied 4x when money redesigned for We the People December 13, 2015 Carl_Herman
- Impossible Odds in Mass Murder Terrorism December 13, 2015 Carl_Herman
- Urgently Needed Response to the Scourge of Terrorism December 9, 2015 Daily Censored Writing Team
- Karen Hudes’ lies, unprofessionalism, and threats equals her unreliable testimony anywhere December 8, 2015 Carl_Herman
- Karen Hudes claims I’m a ‘Vatican agent’: her evidence, my counter-claim of the challenge to know comprehensive facts and allies for victory over .01% empire December 3, 2015 Carl_Herman
- Christmas Makes Me Feel Like Singing December 1, 2015 Rebel Fagin
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.